Try These Money Saving Ideas
When your finances are in flux, having some money saving
ideas in the back of your mind can be helpful. From groceries to car
a little forethought and comparison shopping can help keep down costs.
Here are a number of things to try that might save you some
Groceries and Sundries
Clip coupons out of the newspaper
and visit sites with money saving ideas such as coupons.com or groupon.com. There are a lot of these promotional sites
that have online coupons and special offers.
Be sure to check the website of your favorite
grocery store, too, for store-specific coupons. Some grocery stores now have
digital coupons that will download to your store loyalty card.
- Purchase generic products instead
of name brand.
- Buy in bulk. This can be
particularly helpful when purchasing non-perishable items such as toilet
- Prepare a grocery list before you
go to the store and use it. Do not buy items that are not on the list.
- Look for clearance items at the
ends of aisles or in distant corners.
- Look down and look up. Stores
often place cheaper items above and below eye level.
- Do not buy bottled water or name
- Buy plastic storage containers and
reuse them. Do not buy plastic storage bags.
- Shop at bakery outlet stores for
- Do not buy more food than what you
need. Freeze foods that you do not use.
- Do not shop at convenience stores,
as they have a high markup on food items.
- Compare rates on automobile
insurance when your policy payments are due.
- Walk or use the bus instead of the
- Purchased used cars, not new ones.
New cars lose their value quickly, but a quality used car does not.
- Keep your car for as long as
- Be soft on the gas pedal and do
not punch it. This will save gasoline.
- Make sure your tires are properly
- Drive the speed limit and do not
speed. This will save gas (as well as the cost of a speeding ticket).
- Reduce travel time and gas use by
- Refinance your mortgage if the
interest rates are significantly lower than your current loan.
- Get your free credit report at
annualcreditreport.com, which is a government-sponsored website.
- Use the library instead of buying
books, dvds, audiobooks, and other items. Most libraries also have computers
that you can use instead of purchasing a computer for your home.
- Put a digital programmable controller
on your thermostat to save on heating costs.
- Stop using tobacco products. Not
only will you save thousands in the costs of the product, but your health will
- Have a yard sale to dispose of
things you no longer use, and make some extra cash, too.
- Examine all bills, credit card
statements, and bank statements for fees. Many companies are placing new and
unexpected fees on accounts so it is important to review your statements every
month. If fees are excessive, find a new bank or change your habits to avoid
- Mail in rebate offers immediately
so that you can recoup your money. Do not miss mailing deadlines.
- Purchase clothing at consignment
stores, charity shops, or yard sales.
- Put energy saving light bulbs in
all of your light fixtures.
- Do not buy appliance warranties
from the store. They are rarely worth the cost and most items have a limited
manufacturer's warranty on them anyway.
- Pay your bills on time to avoid
finance charges or late fees.
These money saving ideas will complement other debt management strategies and hep put you closer to taking charge of your spending.
For more ways to save money, click here: 20 Practical Money Saving Tips.
Share YOUR Own Money Saving Tips
Do you have some money saving ideas that have worked well for you? Please take a moment and share your penny-pinching tips with others. Simply complete the short form below and then click the "Submit" button. All submissions will be reviewed. Your money saving ideas will then become a separate web page with a link listed below.
Please note the following:
- The content you submit must be original, created by you (not
copied), and relevant for this site.,
- The information you share must be non-commercial/non-promotional in nature and
should not contain live commercial web addresses, e-mail addresses or phone
Please note that your submission may be edited for
clarity and typo correction, as appropriate. Also, CardDDebtGuide.com
reserves the right to reject a submission, if necessary.
Thank you for taking the time to submit money saving tips!
Related Information - Money Saving Ideas
More Money Saving Advice
Practical Money Saving Tips
Techniques for Saving Money
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
Tips to Save Money When Your Unemployed
Saving Money with Coupons
Saving Money on Groceries
Saving Money on Electricity
Card Debt Guide HOME
Credit Card Debt Dips
Money Saving Ideas